Sunday 25 February 2018

Music: A Reflection of Change


   For most people going through stages of music experimentation is inevitable. From the music your family likes to the music your friends like. I remember hearing Clocks by Coldplay on replay as a little kid, I had no idea if I really liked it then or not but I was drawn to Chris Martins reverential tones. If guess I could say it was my love of Worship music that influenced that choice.
   Then there was that thrill of discovering the music that kept me awake at night , singing and internalizing the lyrics. Discussing the lyrics with friends, sing-alongs in school. I'm still a sucker for  good sing along moments. For social mobility though, the genre was Pop and Rap. Knowing a complete Eminem song would earn you some quick cred. Linkin' Park and Evanescence saved me from having to pretend I was still heavily into Rap for clout when I hit my Emo stage. Rock but still cool enough to advertise.
    I fell in love with EDM after hearing Adventure Club have been stuck ever since. I had developed an addiction to intense bass, disdain for Pop lyrics and I found a genre that enabled me. I used to think of EDM as that crazy European music that they play in all the "don't do drugs" videos. I was so surprised to stumble on Intensive Care by The Sonixx;soft ,slow romantic. I thought I would eventually grow out of it all but the artists in the genre evolve so beautifully I'm sure I'll be there for a while. I'm grateful music promoters like MrSuicideSheep and XKito keep the good stuff and the new stuff coming.
   I'm not a one note wonder thankfully. I do appreciate a wide range of Artists with very little focus on particular genres. Coldplay will always have a special place in my heart and on my playlist. Social music though is still a thing. Though its trendy to be that person that likes lesser known artists these days and acting slightly superior about it(quick side glance at some Jon Bellion fans) most people don't want to come to your house and listen to you play your weird music.They want to bond over the familiar tracks you share,or introduce you to hip stuff that you could share. I enjoy time spent with my friends dancing to Nigerian/Afrobeat music and I wouldn't trade it for music I'm sure isn't running away. Don't be selfish with your space, good music is like salt that brightens your good moments and makes your less stellar moments better. Every track you love and even grow to hate is a storage device for your mood, a marker for stages in your life.
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig